Mine Action and Housing, Land, and Property
There are many linkages between mine action and Housing, Land, and Property. Removing explosive ordnance changes land values and can impact land rights and land use.
As part of their due diligence, mine action organizations should:
1. Understand the operational context in which they operate – who has what rights to the land; how is land used by different groups.
2. Assess the potential positive and negative impact of land release on that context, including for the powerful and the poor, men and women.
3. Taking practical steps to ensure that mine action contributes to positive outcomes and increase protection of the most vulnerable.
The GPC also has an HLP Area of Responsibility: https://www.globalprotectioncluster.org/themes/housing-land-and-property/hlp-area-of-responsibility/
You will find a number of resources, guidance, FAQs, webinar recording to increase understanding and coordination of mine action and HLP by clicking on the titles below.
- HLP Workshop Report (2022)
- Webinar | Land Rights and Mine Action – Recording Video (2017)
- Webinar | Land Rights and Mine Action – Key Messages (2017)
- Webinar | Land Rights and Mine Action – Notes (2017)
- Webinar | Land Rights and Mine Action – Presentation (2017)
- HLP, Mine Action AoR and GICHD Joint Video Messages on the Role of Mine Action Organisations in Addressing Land Rights Issues (2017)
- Frequently Asked Questions on Land Rights and Mine Action (2012)
- Volatile Landscapes: The Impact of Explosive Remnants of War on Land Rights in Conflict Affected Countries (2011)
- Policy Brief on Land Rights and Landmines (2010)
Best Practices & Country-Related Information
- Iraq: Lessons Learnt from the MAG-NRC Partnership (2022)
- Cambodia: Doing No Harm? Mine Action and Land Issues (2014)
- Myanmar: Mine Action and Land Rights (2014)
- South Sudan: Mine Action and Land Rights (2013)
- Afghanistan: Land Rights and Mine Action: FAQ (2012)
- Angola: Landmine Clearance & Land Rights: Outcome of Non-Integrated Peacebuilding (2012)
- Handover of Released Land: Common Procedures and Good Practices (2013)