The aim of this document is to offer recommendations on the use of Cash for Protection interventions in Ukraine, including to create a common understanding among humanitarian partners, and to harmonize practices. This includes:
● Defining Cash for Protection & its objectives
● Scenarios for possible use of Cash for Protection
● Core Elements for using Cash for Protection
● Links between Cash for Protection & key protection activities
● Differences between Cash for Protection & Multi-Purpose Cash Assistance (MPCA)
Cash for Protection is a form of assistance where Cash and Voucher Assistance (CVA) is used as the modality to address individual and/or household-level protection needs, identified on a case-by-case basis. Cash for Protection is used to prevent, reduce or mitigate the impacts of risks, violence, abuse, coercion, exploitation and deprivation, as well as usage of negative coping mechanisms. Cases may include protection concerns related to right to life, physical safety, psychological well-being, liberty, dignity and other fundamental rights.
Cash for Protection is not time-bound, not conditional and not restricted given the complexities of protection risks facing individuals and/or households. Cash for Protection is not defined by what the cash