MINE ACTION AND HOUSING, LAND, AND PROPERTY
There are many linkages between mine action and Housing, Land, and Property. Removing explosive ordnance changes land values and can impact land rights and land use.
As part of their due diligence, mine action organizations should:
1. Understand the operational context in which they operate – who has what rights to the land; how is land used by different groups.
2. Assess the potential positive and negative impact of land release on that context, including for the powerful and the poor, men and women.
3. Taking practical steps to ensure that mine action contributes to positive outcomes and increase protection of the most vulnerable.
On this page, you will find a number of resources, guidance, FAQs, webinar recording to increase understanding and coordination of mine action and HLP.
- Policy Brief on Land Rights and Landmines (2010)
- Frequently Asked Questions on Land Rights and Mine Action (2012)
- Handover of Released Land: Common Procedures and Good Practices (2013)
- Webinar | Land Rights and Mine Action – Recording
- Webinar | Land Rights and Mine Action – Key Messages
- Webinar | Land Rights and Mine Action – Notes
- Webinar | Land Rights and Mine Action – Presentation
- HLP Guidance Note for Mine Action Syria
- HLP Guidance Note for Mine Action Iraq
- HLP, Mine Action AoR and GICHD Joint Messages on the Role of Mine Action Organisations in Addressing Land Rights Issues
The GPC also has an HLP Area of Responsibility: https://www.globalprotectioncluster.org/themes/housing-land-and-property/hlp-area-of-responsibility/
Last Updated: 7 Jan 2021
MINE ACTION AOR GLOBAL COORDINATION CONTACTS
Mr. Bruno DONAT
Global Coordinator, Mine Action Area of Responsibility (MA AoR)
Chief, UNMAS Geneva
Phone Number: +41 22 917 1779
Ms. Christelle LOUPFOREST
Deputy Global Coordinator, Mine Action Area of Responsibility (MA AoR)
Liaison Officer, UNMAS Geneva
Phone Number: +41 22 917 4741
Ms. Hannah Rose HOLLOWAY
Co-Coordinator, Mine Action Area of Responsibility (MA AoR)
Humanitarian Disarmament and Peacebuilding (HDP) Coordinator – DRC Geneva Representation
Phone Number: +41 79 191 4784
danishdemininggroup.dk / drc.dk
HDP is a Core Sector and Mine Action unit within Danish Refugee Council