Each year, the Global Protection Cluster (GPC), its Strategic Advisory Group (SAG) Members including the Areas of Responsibility (AoRs) organize a Global Protection Forum with partners and field coordinators to review gaps, challenges and opportunities in protection coordination, discuss emerging protection challenges and solutions, and plan activities to be undertaken to ensure ccentrality and mainstreaming of protection at global and field levels.
In response to the feedback received after the Global Forum 2020 pointing out towards the need for a streamlined programme and the organization of technical sessions dedicated specifically to field cluster coordinators, the GPC adopted a slightly different format than the previous year (see GPC calendar attached). Because of the COVID-19 pandemic, the 2021 editions of the Forum with take place exclusively in digital form. The programme of the 2021 Global Protection Forum will include the following elements:
- A technical segment (12-16 April) dedicated to field cluster coordinators, AoRs coordinators, co-coordinators and IMOs consisting of virtual workshops of 90 min each and aiming at fostering cross learning and collaboration across regions and agencies.
- A temperature check event (June date tbc) aimed at reviewing the funding level of the protection sector in 2021 against the requirements put forward in the Global Humanitarian Overview 2020 and draw attention to underfunded operations or specialized protection areas.
- A thematic segment (13-17 September) dedicated to the broader constituency of the GPC and designed to foster dialogue on current protection priorities, discuss emerging issues and present new evidence and good practice.
- A High-Level event (30th of November) organized on the eve of the GHO launch and aimed at drawing attention to the funding level of the protection sector in the Humanitarian Response Plans across all cluster operations and mobilize resource for the protection sector in 2022.
Technical segment – 12-16 April 2021
The technical segment of the Global Protection Forum is dedicated to field cluster coordinators, AoRs coordinators, co-coordinators and IMOs and aims to:
- Plan and prepare key cluster processes for 2021 (HNO/HRP, protection analysis, localization).
- Stimulate cross-learning between teams and across regions, fostering transversal communication and collaboration.
- Gain and share information and knowledge.
The programme of the technical segment reflects the needs expressed by coordinators through a quick survey conducted among field protection clusters as well as consultations with Global AoRs and the GPC Coordinator. Sessions are organized jointly by the GPC Operation’s Cell and the global AoRs, with contributions from field operations and partners.
Please find the agenda here.