The Protection Cluster in Colombia recently published two Protection Analysis Updates for the Departamento de Chocó and Departamento de Norte de Santander.
These Protection Analysis Updates are the first to be published in Spanish and to consider an Area-Based Approach for the protection analysis. The country team, composed almost exclusively of national staff, decided to focus on sub-national level analysis to ensure a better understanding of the different realities faced by each of the regions, improving frontline protection coordination and response.
The priority protection risks identified in the Departamento de Chocó are as follows:
- Confinement of communities who, despite remaining in a part of the territory, lose their mobility as a consequence of the presence and actions of armed groups.
- Forced displacement due to violence, threats and homicides against the civilian population.
- Killings of community leaders, human rights defenders and young people.
The priority protection risks identified in the Departamento de Norte de Santander are as follows:
- Forced recruitment of children, young and adolescents by armed groups
- Threats to life and physical integrity related to armed conflict
- Forced internal displacement
Protection Analysis Update – Departamento de Chocó : here
Protection Analysis Update – Departamento de Norte de Santander: here